5 oral health tips that you can start implementing today
posted: Jan. 16, 2022.
Oral health is a vital part of your overall health and if you’re looking to improve your oral health, here are 5 tips you can start implementing today:
- Schedule regular dental exams and cleanings. Don’t wait until you have toothache or a dental emergency to schedule a dental visit - prevention is the key to a healthy mouth. With regular dental exams and cleanings, you may be able to avoid costly and painful surprises.
- Avoid the sugary and acidic drinks. Sugars and acid are the drivers of premature wear of your tooth enamel. Even sugar-free cola (because of its acidity) will take a toll on your teeth. Although it may be a little bit boring, water is the best beverage.
- Check your mouth regularly. Look for red, puffy, sensitive gums, bleeding when you floss, or incessant bad breath - all of these could be an indicator of gum disease.
- Limit smoking and vaping. These habits are risk factors for periodontal disease, and are detrimental to your overall health.
- Brush and floss regularly. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day is the simplest way to achieving good oral health. Use a soft bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste. Did you know that Vancouver’s tap water is not fluoridated?
With the COVID pandemic continuing, it’s understandable that some of us have heightened anxiety about visiting the dentist. Rest assured, at Arbutus Station Dental, our dental team is using enhanced personal protective equipment (“PPE”) and has implemented special protocols.